Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWNNEWS to 80360 or email us »
William Hunter Way plan back on track
5:00pm Thursday 10th July 2014 in News
PLANS to develop William Hunter Way will be resurrected, just months after they were scrapped.
Brentwood Council’s new administaration will set up a committee and want to make the public part of future talks.
A six-screen cinema, Marks and Spencer, TX Maxx and a multi-storey car park were all in place to move onto the site after the previous Tory administration struck a deal with developer Stockland.
However, those plans fell through earlier this year after eight years of talks following a disagreement on how to fund the project.
Leading the latest charge is Brentwood First councillor Russell Quirk who said this time around residents and traders will be involved in creating a “wish list”.
Mr Quirk said: “We want something the people of Brentwood can be proud of, something they want, and something hopefully that will mean people don’t need to go to Chelmsford or Lakeside.
“We’re setting up what will be the William Hunter Way development group. It will be public and open. It will be the opposite of before.
“If 500 people say they don’t want the plans to be more than 15-metres high, it most likely won’t be.”
The inaugural William Hunter Way Delivery Group meeting is on Monday at 6.30pm at the Town Hall. All welcome.