Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWNNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Homeless shelter evacuated after chemical scare
7:30am Sunday 7th October 2012 in News
A HOMELESS shelter in Warley had to be evacuated after a chemical leak was detected.
Firefighters from Brentwood and Grays were called to the Brentwood Foyer, which looks after homeless people aged between 16 and 23, in Chindits Lane, last Thursday, after ammonia was smelt inside.
People were evacuated from the building at about 1pm while firefighters went in wearing breathing apparatus to locate where the smell was coming from.
After searching the property, crews discovered the ammonia was coming from a fridge.
They ventilated the kitchen area to get rid of the smell before allowing people to go back in at about 2.15pm.