Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWNNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Funding refused for new primary school
7:30am Thursday 5th September 2013 in Local news
PLANS to have a sixth school site in a Brentwood street have been scrapped after Government funding was refused.
Essex County Council had been considering turning part of the old Sawyers Hall School premises, in Sawyers Hall Lane, into a new primary school to help with a future rise in pupil numbers.
If the plan had gone ahead, it would have become the sixth school in the road, alongside Becket Keys Secondary School, St Thomas’ Infants, St Thomas’ Juniors, St Helen’s Infants and St Helen’s Juniors.
However, the Department for Education turned down the council’s bid to receive funding for the project with County Hall chiefs now set to review their options.
A council spokesman said: “Unfortunately our bid for central Government funding was unsuccessful.
"There is still a need in the Brentwood area for additional provision, to meet the future demand for primary school places.
“We will be engaging with existing schools in the area to consider what options are available to increase provision in the locality.”
Stephen Mayo who campaigns for better education accountability in Brentwood said the project’s scrapping was “sensible”.
Mr Mayo, of Geary Drive, who has two daughters currently attending St Thomas’ Junior School and a son who has just started at Brentwood County High complained the road had become too crowded.
He said: “In short, I think the case for a new primary school in Sawyers Hall Lane was not proved.
"I speak to a lot of parents of children who go to the schools already there and I haven’t heard from anyone who thought it was a good idea.
“We live round the corner, so me or my wife don’t need to drive our children in, but the fact all the schools are in one half of the road means the school rush hour period is extraordinarily busy.”
Comments are closed on this article.