Get involved: send your pictures, video, news and views by texting BWNNEWS to 80360 or email us »
Explosion avoided after village hall gas leak
A VILLAGE hall was turned into ticking timebomb after a gas leak.
Firefighters were called to Fryerning Parish Hall, near Ingatestone, and they evacuated four homes as they brought the incident to a safe conclusion.
The drama unfolded in Mill Green Road, Fryerning, yesterday, just before 1pm.
Three crews were called to the incident and police officers closed roads leading to the parish hall.
The fire officer in charge reported that the gas was dense enough to pose a potential explosive risk.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus to enter the hall to ventilate it.
Officers had hose lines laid out ready as a precaution in case anything triggered a blast.
Workers from the electricity board arrived just after 3pm and isolated the electrical supply and firefighters then went back into the hall and isolated the gas supply .
Gas had collected in the roof void of the building and firefighters climbed a ladder to ventilate that area.
Nobody was hurt and the incident was dealt with by about 4.30pm.